MSM is the abbreviation for methylsulfonylmethane. As the name implies, MSM is a source of the mineral sulfur. Sulfur is important for all the body systems. This includes the immune system, connective tissue, the skin and organs.
Food Sources of Sulfur: Meat, eggs, poultry, fish, and milk. Plant foods that contain sulfur include garlic, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, legumes, and sunflower seeds.
Available Form: MSM is available in capsule, tablet, crystal, lotion, cream, or gel. If you’re taking the crystal form, be sure to add it to water for dilution, as the crystal is very bitter tasting. Or you can take it with juice to make it more palatable.
|Rich in Sulfur|
Benefits of MSM:
- MSM increases blood flow thereby reducing inflammation and muscle spasms.
- MSM benefit those people with diabetes as it can help normalize carbohydrate metabolism.
- MSM has an antiparasitic effect – that is, it helps to resist the invasion of unfriendly parasites.
- MSM has normalizing effect on the immune system, which means it’s useful in treating autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
- MSM may help to rebuild cartilage because it has chemical properties that help to incorporate fluid in the joint tissue; also taking supplement would help reverse the deterioration of knee cartilage.
- MSM can help prevents the blood from getting infected and is essential in fighting the diseases of the blood.
- MSM can help improve the strength and sheen of hair, and also helps to preserve harder, shinier nails.
- MSM is useful in treating asthma by regulating the fluid that covers the airway surface of the lungs, and by preventing an inflammatory response.
- MSM can help in the reduction of bad fats from the body and the subsequent reduction of blood pressure.
Note: Avoid taking MSM before bedtime because the supplement can keep you awake.
Side Effects: Most people experience no side effects from MSM, though there have been some reports of digestive upset on high doses; it is therefore recommended to start at a lower dosage.