Lycopene Health Benefits:
- The Orange tomatoes has 200 times more lycopene, the orange variety has a form of lycopene that is easily absorbed by the body.
- Lycopene is proven to ward off cancer, macular degeneration (retinal degenerative disease that causes progressive loss of central vision) and heart disease this is due to the presence of nicotinic acid in tomatoes that help to reduce blood cholesterol.
- The lycopene in tomatoes can reduce sun damage by 35%. One cup of tomatoes daily is what you need to be protected from sun damage. Study shown that this phytonutrient neutralizes harmful free radicals created by the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. To get more benefits from tomatoes, cook it first because the heat liberates three times more lycopene from the plant’s tough cell membrane.
- Ample consumption of tomatoes is reported to improve the skin and purify the blood. Tomato can help in the removal of pimples.
- Tomato is also rich in potassium; this mineral naturally thins blood and improves flow to increase the amount of energizing oxygen that reaches the brain. The additional fuel boosts brain-cell activity to speed thinking and alertness. A cup of tomatoes contains 400mg of potassium.
- Tomatoes are also excellent for the bone. One tomato provides 18% of the daily recommended amount of bone-building vitamin K. This strong antioxidant activates osteocalcin, the strengthening protein that increase calcium levels inside bone tissue.
- Tomato is also rich in vitamin C and Beta-carotene, this strong antioxidant neutralizes the pain-inducing compound TNF-alpha in muscle cells to combat tissue swelling. Consumption of ½ cup of tomatoes per day can prevent up to 34% of joint pain.