Other name: Mandarin, Ponkan
Tangerines are smaller than oranges, with loose fitting skins and have a deeper orange skin, and have few or no seeds.
Tangerine Fruit Health Benefits:
- Recommended to help reduce fever and for relieving congestion of the liver.
- Can help cure syphilis, maybe because of its antiseptic property.
- May help prevent cancer in organ lined with epithelial tissue, due to its high vitamin A content. A medium-size tangerine contains 775I.U. of vitamin A, as well as 130mg of potassium.
- Contains pectin, soluble fiber that help prevent constipation, control blood cholesterol, and controls your blood sugar levels.
- Helps in the removal of the toxic and unwanted substances such as uric acid, extra salt and water from the body through sweat, urine and feces as well as increases the oxygen retaining capacity of the red blood cells.
- Hesperidin which is present in large quantities in tangerines especially in the inner part of the skin (peel) is said to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects on cells and tissues thus helps prevent premature aging and cancer.
Tangerine Nutrient Content: Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: 420 I.U
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .07 mg.;
- Riboflavin: .03 mg.;
- Niacin: .2 mg.
- Vitamin C: 31 mg.
- Calcium: 33 mg.
- Iron: .4 mg.
- Phosphorus: 23 mg.
- Potassium: 110 mg.
- Fat: .3 gm
- Carbohydrates: 10.9 gm.
- Protein: .8 gm.
- Calories: 44
Varieties of Tangerine Fruit:
- Clementine or Algerian . This variety is seedless, and smaller and sweeter than most other varieties.
- Honey or murcott. This variety has a greener skin than other tangerines, but the flesh is more orange and the flavor is sweeter.
- Satsumas are a little larger than clementines, nearly seedless, and very thin-skinned. Japan is the leading producer of satsumas.
- Tangelo. A cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit, the tangelo looks like an orange, is tangier than a tangerine, and is sweeter than a grapefruit.
Tangerine Essential Oil Uses: Cooking, medicine, and skincare products.
Extraction of Tangerine Oil: The essential oil is extracted by cold compression from the peel.
Tangerine Oil Health Benefits:
- When used as massage oil can help in breaking down cellulite by draining the lymphatic system. This can help the body in removing toxins and improving the immune system.
- Has a certain component that can stimulate regeneration of cells. This can help heal or repair broken or matured skin tissue.
- Can help prevent the sagging of skin.
- Used to help with stretch marks, increasing circulation and reducing fluid retention.
- Increases the skin’s ability to absorb the nutrients of other treatments. For example, if you apply other products to your skin, they will be more readily absorbed after treating the skin with tangerine oil.
- Contains certain components which kills the bacteria and stops its spreading. The oil can be applied topically over the open wounds.
- Can help ease the mind, to elevate one’s mood and spirit. This can help in treating anxiety and stress.
- When inhaled can help promote sleep. Good sleep can give you good skin.
Drawbacks: Oils in peels may irritate the skin of some people.
“This post was originally published on January 8, 2012 @ 23:41″