Silicon, also referred to as silica or silicon dioxide, is a trace mineral that is somewhat of a nutritional secret in the health world. It is basically present in the human body in the form of silanate or silicic acid.
Silicon Food Sources: It is found in several foods, including whole grains, vegetables, fruits (such as apples, bananas and raisins), oats, lentils, beans, peanuts, almonds, coffee, beer, and unfiltered drinking water.
Silicon Deficiency Symptoms: Poor development of the bone, thinning of hair, brittleness of nails, formation of wrinkles and ageing of the skin.
Silicon Dosage: The average intake of silicon in adults is 14 to 21mg per day.
Silicon Health Benefits:
- Silicon helps prevent alopecia or thinning of hair, it also increases the luster and shine of hair.
- Silicon prevents hard plaque formation in arteries; therefore it help improves blood circulation in the body.
- Silicon help assist calcium for the growth, and repair of joints and bones. It also increases the rate of healing of bone dislocation and fractures.
- Silicon helps in strengthening of connective tissues.
- Silicon protects the skin from being saggy because it increases the amount of collagen in the body.
- Silicon makes the eyes bright.
- Silicon restores the health of mucosa of the respiratory tract.
- Silicon prevents the brittleness of nails and protects them against several nail infections.
- Silicon helps prevent tooth decay and bleeding and receding gums. Some believe it can help reverse cavity formation. In children, silicon can lead to beautiful teeth and jaw formation.
Note: Do note that silicon is different from silicone, a chemical mixture used to make breast implants and other medical devices.
Caution: Silicon supplements should be avoided by those with a history of silicon-containing kidney disease.