Culinary Uses: White Potato is great for boiling to make potato salad, mashing for mashed potato, steaming and roasting. They can retain their shape even after cooking.
Types of Potato:
Round White Potatoes flesh is white or creamy, the skin is smooth and light brown in color and it has a medium level of starch. They are great for all types of potato dishes.
Long White Potatoes has light white or pale brown skin. It has a medium to low starch content. Because of their low starch level, they are suitable even for obese and diabetic patients.
Health Benefits of Potato:
- White Potato is an ideal food for sick person because it is mild on the stomach; it can be easily digested and is rich in carbohydrate which can help give energy.
- Cold crushed potato when applied directly on burns and boils can help give instant relief to inflamed skin. For inflammation along the course of nerves, a hot poultice of raw or crushed potato is an excellent remedy.
- Eating one medium sized potato a day can help promote normal blood-pressure levels and can even prevent stroke because it is rich in potassium, a mineral that plays an important role in keeping the working of brain in normal state.
- A healthier substitute to white rice because it is very filling, rich in carbohydrate and has moderate calories which make it non-fattening.
- Rich in soluble and insoluble fiber which helps keep you regular and helps to lower serum cholesterol (total level of cholesterol in the bloodstream).
Nutrient Content of Potato: Per 100 g
- Vitamin A: 20 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .11 mg.; Riboflavin .04 mg.; Niacin 1.2 mg.
- Vitamin C: 17 mg.
- Calcium: 11 mg.
- Iron: .7 mg.
- Phosphorus: 56 mg.
- Potassium: 500 mg.
- Fat: .1 gm.
- Carbohydrates: 19.1 mg.
- Protein: 2.0 gm.
- Calories: 83
Potato Skin Benefits:
- PJ and sliced potato can help treat dark circles under your eyes and can also refresh tired eyes. Just lie down put slice potato over your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes. Then wash with water. Do this regularly and the dark circles around your eyes will be reduced.
- PJ can help prevent the formation of wrinkles and help treat blemishes. Just dip the cotton ball in the pj and apply it to your face; let it remain there for 3-5 minutes then wash with mild soap and water. Do this regularly to get rid of wrinkles and give your face a smooth and radiant look.
- PJ can help heal sunburn. Just apply the juice on the affected area for 15-20 minutes and wash.
- PJ can help hide your gray hair. Just boil the clean potato peels in water. Strain the water and let it cool. Use this strained water as an after shampoo rinse, to darken the gray hair. Do this every other day for a beautiful and younger looking hair.
Note: Potatoes should be thoroughly washed with clean tap water and scrubbed lightly before preparation.
How to Buy Potato: When buying potato choose the one that is firm, and smooth. Softness, a green tinge, or wrinkly skin may indicate a potato that is past its prime.
How to Store Potato: Store in a cool, dry place. Sunlight can cause the skin to turn green; if this occurs the skin must then be peeled off before consuming. Most of the nutrients are contained right below the skin, so avoid peeling when possible.
“This post was originally published on December 30, 2011 @22:11″