- Family: Rutaceae
- Scientific Name: Citrus grandis (Linn.) Osbeck
Pomelo is the biggest of all the citrus fruit; it is native to Southeast Asian countries. It can grow as large as 30cm in diameter and weigh up to 25 pounds. The pulp color varies from pale yellow to pink and red. The rind is very thick but soft and easy to peel away. This fruit has a sweet and sour tastes but the membranes of the segments are bitter and usually discarded.
Pomelo Uses: This fruit is eaten fresh or is use to make juice. The pulp can be use to make salads and the peel is used to make candies; in Chinese cooking, citrus peel is often used for flavoring.
Pomelo Health Benefits:
- The juice contains insulin-like substance.
- Even if the juice of pomelo has an acid taste, its juice actually has an alkaline reaction after digestion. It is therefore beneficial in the digestive system.
- Has pectin which is effective in reducing the accumulation of arterial deposits.
- High vitamin C content helps to strengthen and maintain the elasticity of the arteries.
- Can aid in the weight loss process, because the fat burning enzyme in pomelo can help to absorb and reduce the starch and sugar in the body.
- Can also help in cases of fatigue, diabetes, fever, insomnia, sore throat, stomach and pancreatic cancer.
Pomelo Nutrient Content: per 100 g
- Vitamin C: 44.8 mg
- Vitamin B1: 0.03 mg
- Vitamin B2: 0.03 mg
- Beta Carotene 200 ug
- Calcium 14.0 mg
- Iron 0.6 mg
- Protein 0.7 g
- Fat 0.3 g
- Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Energy: 44.0 Kcal
- Water: 88.0 g
Pomelo Leaves Medicinal Benefits:
- Poultice warmed and applied on swellings and painful joints.
- Pomelo leaves decoction is used as aromatic bath and as wash for skin ulcers.
Pomelo Rind Medicinal Benefits:
- The rind contains high amount of bioflavonoid. The bioflavonoid in pomelo was discovered to stop cancer cells from spreading in breast cancer patients by ridding the body of excess estrogen.
- PR when squeezed and inhaled can help treat nausea. Just squeeze a piece of fresh rind and let the patient inhale it.
- PR decoction is taken in cases of cough and upset stomach.
Pomelo Juicing Tip:Keep the fruit at room temperature before juicing to get the most juice from it. To prepare, quarter the fruit and peel off the skin. Leave in as much rind as possible as it contains the most anti-cancer agents. You may add honey if you find the juice too sour.
How to Buy Pomelo: Choose fruit that is heavy for its size, blemish-free and has fragrant sweet smell. If you can, choose the pink and red variety which is slightly sweeter and more nutritious (because of the darker pigment).