Grape seed extract supplements are made from the seeds of the same types of grapes used for making wine. The extract has antioxidant properties many times more powerful than those of vitamin C and vitamin E and its flavonoid content protect the body cells from damage by unstable molecules called free radicals. Grape seed extract is a heart-smart and cancer-smart botanical. It also has the power to improve vascular health and increase your well-being in a lot of ways.
Available Forms: Capsule, Tablet, Liquid
Grapeseed Extract Health Benefits:
- Grapeseed extract has the ability to enhance the health of blood vessels; it is therefore beneficial in reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke, as well as strengthening fragile or weak capillaries and increasing blood flow, particularly to the extremities. Because of this, experts find it a beneficial supplement for condition that are associated with poor vascular function, including diabetes, varicose veins, some cases of impotence, numbness and tingling in the arms and legs, and even painful leg cramps.
- Many experts now endorse grape seed extract for its cancer-fighting properties. Working as antioxidants, PCOs correct damage to the genetic material cells that could possibly cause tumors to form.
- Grapeseed extract is both water and oil soluble; therefore it can penetrate all types of cell membranes, delivering antioxidant protection throughout the body.
- Grapeseed extract is also beneficial for the eye health. It is frequently recommended as a supplement to combat macular degeneration and cataracts, and if you use computers regularly, grape seed extract may also be for you. At least one study showed that 300mg daily for just 60days reduce the eyestrain associated with working at a computer monitor and improved contrast vision.
- Grapeseed helps to preserve and reinforce the collagen in the skin; it is often used in the treatment of connective tissue disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis. In Europe, it is often included in cosmetic creams to improve skin elasticity.
- Grapeseed extract is beneficial for people suffering from allergy, by inhibiting the release of symptom-causing compounds such as histamine which, in turn, helps to control a variety of allergic reaction, from hives to hay fever.
Symptoms that you need to take Grapeseed supplement:
- Bleeding gums
- Speck of blood in the cornea
- Tired muscle
- Abnormal heartbeat
- For antioxidant protection: Take 100mg daily.
- For therapeutic benefits: The usual dose is 200mg daily.
- Choose supplements standardized to contain 3% catechin polymers.
Guidelines for use / Tips:
- After 24 hours, only about 28% of grape seed extract’s active components remain in the body. So it’s important to take supplements at the same time every day, particularly when they’re being used to combat disease.
- Grapeseed oil (not to be confused with grape seed extract) may offer health benefits, too. A preliminary study found that adding about 2Tbsps of grapeseed oil to the daily diet increased HDL (good) cholesterol by 14% and reduced triglycerides by 15% in just four weeks. Use it in place of other oils in salads or cooking.
- Look for supplements that contain at least 95% PCOs.
Grapeseed Extract Possible Side Effects:
- No side effects from taking grapeseed extract have been reported, and no toxic reactions have been noted. However, grapeseed extract may interact with other medications or supplements, so it is important to talk to your doctor before using grape seed extract.
- Pregnant/nursing women and children should not use grapeseed extract as the supplement has not been proven safe for use in these populations.