- The Coconut tree reaches its maturity at seven years and produces its fruit for as many as 70- 80 years.
- Seven ounces or about half a fresh mature coconut, 2 ½ cups dried coconut, or 10 ounces of coconut milk is equivalent to 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil.
Coconut Meat Health Benefits:
- Coconut is a good source of protein; it is therefore an ideal food for body-builder and for building up the body muscles of thin and emaciated individuals.
- Coconut is valuable for destroying tapeworms acquired by eating infected meat. It is also used generally to destroy other worms.
- Coconut helps prevent simple goiter (enlarged non-toxic thyroid) because of its organic iodine content.
- Coconut is good for constipation and for any build-up of gas in the stomach and intestinal tract.
Coconut Nutrition: Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: none
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .10mg.; Riboflavin .01mg.; Niacin .2mg.
- Vitamin C: 2mg.
- Calcium: 21mg.
- Iron: 2.0mg.
- Phosphorus: 98mg.
- Fat: 34.7gm.
- Carbohydrates: 14gm.
- Protein: 3.4gm.
- Calories: 359
Coconut Juice is the liquid that is taken from unripe coconuts. If coconuts get ripe the liquid that is inside will harden and become a part of the white flesh of the coconut, which is used to make coconut milk.
After water, Coconut juice is considered the most natural beverage; it is totally sterile until the fruit is opened. Each nut can contain between 200 and 1000 ml of water depending on the variety and size. Coconut water contains high levels of minerals and electrolytes.
Coconut Juice Health Benefits:
- Coconut Juice contains high levels of minerals and electrolytes which the body loses during physical activities.
- Coconut Juice is beneficial for people who have kidney problems – drinking it regularly can help break up kidney stones.
- Coconut Juice can help prevent dehydration in case of diarrhea. To rehydrate drink water of young coconut after every bowel movement. For children coconut water maybe mixed with equal amount of distilled water, 1 tablespoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Drink it every 3 hours.
- Coconut Juice is beneficial for hangover
Coconut milk is a rich and creamy white fluid extracted from the thick white flesh (meat) of the coconut; it is often served as a beverage or as an ingredient on Asian foods.
Coconut Milk Health Benefits:
- Comparable to mother’s milk in its chemical balance. It is quite a complete protein food when taken in its natural form.
- Helps to improve bone and dental health.
- Can be taken to promote bowel movement. For constipation: Take 1 to 2 tablespoon of coconut milk twice a day.
- Contains lauric acid that helps to keep the arteries and heart clean and healthy.
- Has been found to help cases of sore throat as well as relieving stomach ulcers.
- Dairy-free alternative for those who are lactose intolerant or allergic to animal milk.
- Use as topical treatment to prevent hair loss and itchy scalp.
- Can help to expel intestinal worms.
- Coconut milk when apply as face mask can help lessen wrinkles and dry skin.
Medicinal Benefits Coconut Flower: The coconut flower tea is taken for dysentery, diabetes and urinary discharge.
Medicinal Benefits of Coconut Shell: Coconut shell should be burned and the ash is used for medicine.
- Ash is applied topically on swelling and rheumatism.
- A decoction of ash is used as gargle
- Decoction of ash is taken in for stomach pain.
Buying Tip: A quality nut is one that is heavy for its size. When shaken, the liquid inside will slosh around. Do not choose a the one without liquid, as this indicates spoilage, and nuts with moldy or wet “eyes” are not good.
How to Open Coconut: To open, pierce the soft spots, or “eyes”, at the top of the shell with an ice pick or other sharp object. Drain the liquid and then tap all around the hard shell with a hammer until the shell cracks and falls away.