- The Coconut tree reaches its maturity at seven years and produces its fruit for as many as 70- 80 years.
- Seven ounces or about half a fresh mature coconut, 2 ½ cups dried coconut, or 10 ounces of coconut milk is equivalent to 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil.
Coconut Meat Health Benefits:
- Good source of protein; it is therefore an ideal food for body-builder and for building up the body muscles of thin and emaciated individuals.
- Valuable for destroying tapeworms acquired by eating infected meat. It is also used generally to destroy other worms.
- Helps prevent simple goiter (enlarged non-toxic thyroid) because of its organic iodine content.
- Good for constipation and for any build-up of gas in the stomach and intestinal tract.
Coconut Water/Juice is the liquid that is taken from unripe coconuts. If coconuts get ripe the liquid that is inside will harden and become a part of the white flesh of the coconut, which is used to make coconut milk.
After water, Coconut water is considered the most natural beverage; it is totally sterile until the fruit is opened. Each nut can contain between 200 and 1000 ml of water depending on the variety and size. Coconut water contains high levels of minerals and electrolytes.
Coconut Water Health Benefits:
- Contains high levels of minerals and electrolytes which the body loses during physical activities. For this reason, many athletes and persons who exercise regularly are encouraged to drink coconut water to replace all the minerals and fluid that they lose while working out.
- Beneficial in cleansing one’s digestive tract and for people who have kidney problems. Drinking coconut water regularly helps to break up kidney stones making them easier to eliminate.
- Coconut water is almost identical to blood plasma (the yellow liquid component of blood in which the blood cells in whole blood are normally suspended. It makes up about 55% of the total blood volume) and this makes it easy to use for blood transfusion. In cases of emergency coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid instead of the standard IV fluid.
- Can help prevent dehydration in case of diarrhea. To rehydrate drink water of young coconut after every bowel movement. For children coconut water maybe mixed with equal amount of distilled water, 1 tablespoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Drink it every 3 hours.
- Can help reduce vomiting in cases of typhoid, malaria, fevers or other ailments.
- Beneficial for hangover.
Coconut milk is a rich and creamy white fluid extracted from the thick white flesh (meat) of the coconut; it is often served as a beverage or as an ingredient on Asian foods.
Coconut Milk Health Benefits:
- Comparable to mother’s milk in its chemical balance. It is quite a complete protein food when taken in its natural form.
- Helps to improve bone and dental health.
- Can be taken to promote bowel movement. For constipation: Take 1 to 2 tablespoon of coconut milk twice a day.
- Contains lauric acid that helps to keep the arteries and heart clean and healthy.
- Has been found to help cases of sore throat as well as relieving stomach ulcers.
- Dairy-free alternative for those who are lactose intolerant or allergic to animal milk.
- Use as topical treatment to prevent hair loss and itchy scalp.
- Can help to expel intestinal worms.
- Coconut milk when apply as face mask can help lessen wrinkles and dry skin.
Coconut Oil Health Benefits:
- High in saturated fat but of healthy variety. The coconut oil is even better than the polyunsaturated corn, soybean, and canola oil. It is the only fat that isn’t fattening and is even known to promote weight loss because it helps in healthy functioning of thyroid gland (gland that regulate metabolism).
- Coconut oil’s high level of saturation results in an oil that resists turning rancid, this makes coconut oil ideal for cooking.
- Recommended for facial massage and is reported to delay wrinkles and sagging of skin.
- One of the best natural hair treatments because it helps in healthy growth of hair providing them with a shiny appearance. For dandruff, dry itchy scalp, dry brittle hair: Apply oil on a clean scalp. Let stand for at least 20minutes. For maximum benefit, wrap hair with towel or shower cap, Shampoo then rinse hair.
- Helps in treating burns and sunburns and other various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
- Beneficial for the heart because it contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. It also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis. For lowering bad cholesterol in the blood the recommended dose is 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil daily, taken in divided doses.
- Has the property to regulate blood sugar and improves the secretion of insulin, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.
- Virgin coconut oil may help in the treatment of HIV-AIDS. A study showed that coconut oil is capable of reducing the viral load of HIV-infected patients.
- Natural yeast-fighter. Consuming coconut oil helps fight the yeast on the inside, and it can be used topically to relieve fungal/yeast symptoms on the outside as well.
Medicinal Benefits Coconut Flower: The coconut flower tea is taken for dysentery, diabetes and urinary discharge.
Medicinal Benefits of Coconut Shell: Coconut shell should be burned and the ash is used for medicine.
- Ash is applied topically on swelling and rheumatism.
- A decoction of ash is used as gargle
- Decoction of ash is taken in for stomach pain.
Coconut Nutrition: Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: none
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .10mg.; Riboflavin .01mg.; Niacin .2mg.
- Vitamin C: 2mg.
- Calcium: 21mg.
- Iron: 2.0mg.
- Phosphorus: 98mg.
- Fat: 34.7gm.
- Carbohydrates: 14gm.
- Protein: 3.4gm.
- Calories: 359
Buying Tip: A quality nut is one that is heavy for its size. When shaken, the liquid inside will slosh around. Do not choose a the one without liquid, as this indicates spoilage, and nuts with moldy or wet “eyes” are not good.
How to Open Coconut: To open, pierce the soft spots, or “eyes”, at the top of the shell with an ice pick or other sharp object. Drain the liquid and then tap all around the hard shell with a hammer until the shell cracks and falls away.