Scientific Name: Apium graveolers dulce
Celery belongs to the same plant family as carrots, parsley, and fennel; it is grown principally for its edible stalks. The characteristic flavor of these plants is from the volatile oils found in the stems, leaves and seeds.
Celery is approximately 95% water; this liquid is often extracted and combined with other vegetable juices to make a refreshing, nutritious drink. It grows best in cool, moist soil.
Celery leaves are the most nutritious part of the plant, containing more calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamin A and C than the stalks.
Culinary Uses: Celery is often used in soup dishes, mix veggies, stew, salad, and poultry dishes.
Celery Health Benefits:
- Celery is a highly alkaline food; it is therefore beneficial in case of Acidosis (the condition of depletion of alkaline reserve of the body). Alkaline rich foods can help prevent diseases and helps retain youthful body.
- Celery juice is rich in organic sodium. Sodium helps keep the body young and active, and the muscle strong and flexible. Whenever there is stiffness in the joints and cracking in the knees, chances are you lack sodium.
- Celery juice is beneficial for people with stones in the gall bladder or the kidney. Studies showed that people who drank celery juice did not developed stones in bladders & kidney again.
- Chinese healers have used celery for centuries as a treatment for high blood pressure.
- Celery juice and extract of celery seed are excellent diuretics that promote the flow of urine.
- Celery has a calming effect on the digestion.
- Celery is rich in iron which is beneficial in anemia.
- Celery is rich in calcium which helps improve the teeth and bones.
- Celery leaves tea can help calm the nerve and give relief in cases of insomnia.
- Celery leaves is beneficial in cases of diabetes.
- A tablespoonful of honey in celery juice, sipped slowly, will very effectively reduce the appetite if taken before a meal. It will therefore help in reducing weight.
Celery Juice Dosage: Take 1 tablespoon of juice 2 to 3 times daily, if you are acidic or if you have inflammatory problem like arthritis.
Buying Tip: When buying celery choose the one with medium length, thickness, and solidity. The stalks should be brittle enough to snap easily.
Celery Side Effects: Celery contains high levels of plant nitrates, substances that the body converts into nitrosamines, which are linked with an increased risk of cancer.
However, many researchers believe that this is a rather minor risk because most plants high in nitrates and other potentially cancer-causing substances also contains chemicals that neutralize any harmful effects. Also, cooking celery by boiling, braising, or steaming lowers nitrate levels.