Other Name: Muskmelon, melon
Cantaloupe is a type of melon that belongs to the cucumber family. It is usually oblong or round in shape and weighs up-to 5 kg. The fruit has a rough covering with yellow-orange flesh. Cantaloupe is usually eaten as dessert fruit, salad and made into refreshing smoothie.
Health Benefits of Cantaloupe Melon:
- Rich in Vitamin A, it is therefore beneficial in the prevention of lung problems, liver problems and eye problems.
- Beneficial for healthy glowing skin because of its vitamin A content which encourages the skin regeneration and water content which make skin plump.
- Beneficial for fever; just eat 250-500 grams of the fresh fruit in the morning and in the evening.
- Rich in fiber which can help in weight loss and constipation.
- Helps thin the blood therefore lessening the risk of heart attacks and stroke. Studies shows that melon and aspirin work together to provide an even greater anticoagulant effect.
- Help reduce stress because it normalizes the heartbeat and promotes the supply of oxygen to the brain. As a result, you feel more relaxed and focused.
- Used to induce menstruation and cantaloupe juice can also be use during menstruation to help reduce heavy flow and clots.
- Rich in potassium which can prevent and relieve muscular cramps.
Nutrient Content of Cantaloupe: Per 100gm.
- Vitamin A: 3,420 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .05mg.; Riboflavin .04mg.; Niacin .5mg.
- Vitamin C: 33mg.
- Calcium: 17mg.
- Iron: .4mg.
- Phosphorus: 242mg.
- Fat: .2gm.
- Carbohydrates: 4.6gm.
- Protein: .6gm.
- Calories: 20
Buying Tip: Choose Cantaloupe by the color and firmness of their rind, and by fragrance. Look also for those that are heavy for their size, which means it contains lots of juice. Ripe Cantaloupes should have a yellow color on the skin between the webbing. Avoid any fruits with bruised or soft spots.
Storage Tip: Unripe fruits can be stored on the kitchen counter to ripen; once ripe, they should be kept in the refrigerator.
- Cantaloupe doesn’t develop any additional sugar after they are picked. This melon should be picked when it is still hard and pulls off the vine easily.
- You can improve the eating quality of a firm, uncut cantaloupe by leaving it at room temperature for two to four days; the fruit will not become sweeter, but it will turn softer and juicier.
- Deeply colored flesh of cantaloupe denotes that it will be high in vitamin A.
- Melons, with their root system, pick up water from deep, in-ground reserves, and bring it to our tables in a delicious fruit substance.
“This post was originally posted on December 11, 2011 @ 22:03″