Bananas are one of the most abundant fruit that is available all year round; they are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, healthy sugars and carbohydrates for energy.The name banana came from the Arabic word “banan” meaning finger. Other names for banana includes; Canbur, Bananier Nain, Curro and Plantain.
- Most popular potassium-packed fruit. A daily dose of banana provides necessary potassium to benefit the circulatory system, helping to lower blood pressure, maintain proper heart rhythm, and ensure the proper delivery of oxygen to the brain. Patients taking diuretic drugs for high blood pressure usually advised to eat two or three bananas a day to help replace the potassium lost in the urine.
- Can help reduce the cases of kidney problem. According to studies if an average person just eats bananas at least 4-5 times a week, he or she can reduce developing kidney problem.
- An ideal baby food because it has a bland flavor, easy to digest, and hypoallergenic.
- Bananas, along with rice, applesauce, and toast, are one of the foods in the BRAT diet recommended after a bout of diarrhea.
- Can help reduce the symptoms of PMS.
- An energy food. The combination of carbohydrates and B vitamin present in a banana helps provide an energy boost which makes them great to eat 30 minutes before a workout (two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout), or even at breakfast to help boost energy at the start of the day. Many studies reveal that bananas have the ability to enhance learning capabilities of student because of their high potassium-content.
- Banana is high in iron, which helps stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood, so helps in cases of anemia.
- Can help improve your body’s ability to absorb calcium.
- Rich in fiber which can help prevent constipation and help restore normal bowel function.
- Contains tryptophan, a precursor of the chemical known as serotonin which promotes calm, relaxed feelings; it can also promote good night sleep. The tryptophan in banana is one reason many doctors prescribe the fruit for evening and night time snack.
- Banana can help relieve hangover.
- Have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn and ulcer, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
- Useful for dry eyes. Since bananas are very rich in potassium, they help to control the balance of sodium and release of fluid in your cells, which results in preventing dry eyes. Just eat one banana a day to get rid of dry eyes.
- Banana is also a beauty fruit because the antioxidant and vitamins in bananas restore collagen in the skin.
Nutrient Content: per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A: 430 I.U.
- Vitamin B: Thiamine .04mg.; Riboflavin .05mg.; Niacin .7mg.
- Vitamin C: 10mg.
- Iron: 6mg.
- Phosphorus: 28 mg.
- Potassium: 260 mg.
- Fat: .2gm.
- Carbohydrates: 23 mg.
- Protein: 1.2 mg.
- Calories: 88
Benefits of Banana for Skin:
- Rich source of vitamin A which is good at rejuvenating, firming, softening and moisturizing the skin.
- Beneficial for hair and scalp. It helps in softening, and adding volume to hair; it also makes hair shiny, and prevent dandruff, falling hair, split ends, and breakage.
- Can help treat dry feet. Just apply the mash over ripe banana on dry and cracked area of the feet leave for 10 minutes and then wash with warm water.
Medicinal Uses of Banana Peel:
- The peel can help relieve mosquito bites, burns and boils. Just dab the inside of banana peel to the affected area for the healing effect.
- The peel is a natural cure for warts. Just place a small piece of the inside of banana peels on the affected area and secure it with a plaster or surgical tape.
How to Make Banana Facial Mask:
- 1 over ripe banana
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp jojoba, almond or coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp vitamin E oil (optional)
- Mash banana and add 1 tsp of honey, then mix the oil ingredients.
- Apply the facial mask to cleansed face and neck, avoiding the eye area.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. The banana and honey and oil have a firming and moisturizing effect on the skin, as well as a light exfoliation of dead skin cells.
- Do this twice a week.
Note: You can freeze the remaining banana mask preparation for next use.
How to Make Banana Hair Mask:
- 1 Over ripe Banana
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut oil or almond oil
- Mash banana, add honey and the oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Apply the banana mask on your scalp and hair (especially on the tips of your hair). Massage for 5minutes; then cover with shower cup. Leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse out with warm.
- Use this once a week to get healthy hair.