Acai berry is presently marketed as a wonder juice; this is because manufacturers are claiming that acai berry juice can do wonders in improving one’s health.
- Origin: Acai berry is native to Central and South America. It is a relative of the blueberry, cranberry, and other dark purple fruits.
- Appearance: Acai berry is an inch-long reddish, purple fruit; it resembles a grape or a blueberry, but is smaller and darker. This fruit has a large seed and a small amount of pulp.
- Taste: The taste of Acai is described as a mixture of berries and chocolate or cocoa.
- Acai seeds: The acai berry seed takes up about 80% of the total fruit and the seed can be used in some animal feeds after grinding.
- Availability:Acai is normally found in the form of berries (fresh and frozen), powder(capsules), liquid drinks, ice cream, and energy bars with granola.
- Culinary Uses: The people of Brazil use acai to flavor meat and fish entrees, they also use the acai pulp as topping to some dishes.
Health Benefits of Acai Berry:
- Acai is naturally rich in Omega fats (the good kind), amino acids, electrolytes, protein, vitamins A, B1 and E.
- Acai berries can trigger a self-destruct response in up to 86 percent of leukemia cells tested in vitro. While this study is considered a good start it is important to understand that the Acai killed cultured cancer cells in a test tube – this is very different than killing cancer in the human body. Obviously, much more research needs to be done before anyone could make any cancer claims regarding Acai in the human body.
- Acai pulp contains a high concentration of antioxidants that help combat premature aging, with 10 times more antioxidants than red grapes and twice that of blueberries.
- Acai juice is a good treatment for digestive problem and even insomnia.
- Acai juice is naturally low in sugar that is why it is good for diabetics.
- Acai juice is known to increase energy, libido and stamina.
- Acai juice can help promote healthy glowing skin and hair.
Benefits of Acai Oil: Acai oil contains a powerhouse of antioxidants; that is why some cosmetics and beauty products contain acai oil in their ingredients. Studies show that acai oil may be a safe alternative to other tropical oils used in beauty products such as facial and body creams, anti-aging skin therapies, shampoos and conditioners, and other products. When acai oil is processed and stored long-term, the antioxidant levels remains high.
Note: Acai berries are one of the highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value foods. Brightly colored foods are the ones with the highest ORAC scores. ORAC is a way to measure how many oxygen radicals a specific food can absorb. The more oxygen radicals a food can absorb, the higher its ORAC score. The higher its ORAC score, the better it is at helping our bodies fight diseases like cancer and heart disease.