ED or Impotence is a common problem in men (one in ten men have experience this problem at some point in their lives). This condition is defined as the inability to achieve or maintain an erection enough for sexual intercourse. It tends to become more common with age, but can affect a man of any age.
Types of ED: The causes of erectile dysfunction may be physical/ organic or psychological or a combination of the two. A specialist in the field of impotence is the best people to investigate and treat the cause. A starting point should be your family doctor or genitourinary specialist.
a. Organic ED – is the term use when the cause of impotence is physical.
- Liver disease
- Effect of Aging process
- Neurological problem
- Hormonal abnormalities
- Lack of nutrition
b. Psychogenic ED – is a term use when the cause of impotence is psychological in nature. The fading of an erection at the moment of penetration is the characteristic of this impotence.
- Feeling of inadequacy
- Medications that commonly cause impotence include anti-hypertensive, acid suppressants for ulcers, antidepressants, sleeping pills, and anti-anxiety agents.
- Nicotine impedes the blood flow by constricting the small arteries, including those that bring blood to the penis.
- Alcohol. A high blood level of alcohol interrupts the relay of messages along the nervous system; heavy alcohol consumption over an extended period modifies the normal pattern of hormone production, which may affect sexual function.
- A diet high in saturated fats causes atherosclerosis, the buildup of fatty plaque that clogs not only the large vessels around the heart but also the penile arteries.
ED Natural Remedies:
- Zinc is among the minerals thought to be essential to good reproductive health. While zinc intake may not have a direct effect on potency, it may be important for male sexual health, since very high levels are found in the seminal fluid. Good sources of zinc include shellfish and poultry, vegetables, wheat germ, whole grains, and yogurt. Zinc supplements are not recommended; in high doses they can interfere with the absorption of calcium and copper.
- L-arginine is an amino acid that improves blood flow. This supplement works best when taken on an empty stomach.
- Panax ginseng. This treatment is a popular Asian remedy that improves libido and sexual function in men and is often used in Asia to treat impotence.
- Ginkgo Biloba is an all-round circulation booster. It is most widely known for its ability to improve memory, due to its ability to increase blood flow in the brain. But is seems to also increase blood flow to the penis.
- Aniseed or anise (Pimpinella anisum) has a reputation for increasing male sexual appetite.
- Cardamon is an aromatic spice, held in high esteem by the Arab culture as an aphrodisiac. The reason for its reputation as an aphrodisiac is its high content of cineole. Cineole is a central nervous stimulant.
- Ginger is a relative of Cardamon, and well known for its warming, aromatic properties. Scientist believed that ginger extracts significantly increase sperm quantity.
- Saw palmetto has a toning effect on the male reproductive system and has been employed for impotence and prostrate problems. It can be used to treat prostate enlargement and cystitis.
- Pumpkin seeds are a male sexual tonic.
- Sesame seeds have a beneficial effect in maintaining and enhancing sexual vigor.
- Maca is commonly referred to as Peruvian Viagra. The local population believed it has a profound effect on male impotence, reproduction and virility. It’s also said to enhance mental and physical stamina and counteract osteoporosis.
- Royal Jelly – help increase sexual appetite and will also improve a person’s mental concentration and imagination.
- Yohimbe Bark Extract is the only alternative impotence treatment to have received FDA approval. Yohimbe was discovered in South Africa, and was originally used as an aphrodisiac. Yohimbine is the active compound in yohimbe bark; this active compound helps dilate small blood vessels, particularly in the penis. Men given yohimbine injections have been reported to experience immediate erections.
- Co-Q10 helps boost the immune system and is believed to enhance feelings of wellbeing which in turn triggers increased libido and sexual stimulation.
- Exercise – will help increase sexual activity.
- Viagra is one of the best known medications for erectile dysfunction. You need to be sexually stimulated for Viagra to be effective. Viagra works within an hour and usually lasts for three to four hours. Beware of side effects of this medication.
- Hormone Replacement therapy. Hormonal problems are rarely the cause of impotence. The most common hormone abnormality is reduced levels of the male sex hormone testosterone. Testosterone can be restored to a therapeutic level with hormone replacement therapy. Testosterone replacement therapy should only be taken if you are tested and these tests confirm a deficiency.
Caution: Beware of those advertisements that states, “Lost Manhood Restored”, etc., because most of it are worthless or dangerous drugs and some of it may lead to serious health problems or even death.